BELLS OF PEACE AND FREEDOM
Australia's World Peace Bell
The Australian World Peace Bell was awarded to Cowra
in 1992 for its long standing
contribution to world peace and international understanding.
Capital cities usually reserve the right to erect
the World Peace Bell, however Cowra's committment
to the World Peace Bell's objectives has meant Cowra
was awarded the honour. The Bell is made of coins
provided by 103 member countries of the United Nations,
which were melted down and cast into the Bell. The
Cowra Civic Square now proudly houses the Bell. The
Pavillion is decorated with pottery tiles reflecting
the community's ideas about the World Peace Bell and
its association with Cowra. An audio presentation
has recently been installed at the Peace Bell, explaining
the significance of the bell and its association with
Cowra. A ceremony is held on World Peace Day - 3rd
Tuesday in September - to mark the opening of the
Disarmament at the United Nations.
Peace Bell of the Alpine Region
ARGE-ALP, a cooperation of the Alpine countries was
founded in 1972 in the Inntalerhof hotel on the initiative
of Alfons Goppel (Bavaria), Silvius Magnago (South
Tirol) and Eduard Wallnoefer (Tirol) in Telfs/Moesern.
The bell of the ARGE ALP countries reminds people
of peace and good neighborliness, thus has political,
economic, cultural and tourism goals. Today 11 regions
from 4 countries belong to the ARGE ALP: Tirol, Vorarlberg
and Salzburg (Austria); Bavaria and Baden Wuerttemberg
(Germany); St. Gallen, Ticino and Graubuenden (Switzerland);
South Tirol, Trentina and Lombardei (Italy). On the
occasion of 25 years of collaboration of the ARGE
Alp countries, the inauguration ceremony of the peace
bell high above the Inntal valley took place on Oct,
The "peace bell" is located on the southern edge of
the Moesern village on a little hill offering a panoramic
view of the Tirolean mountain world and the Upper
The peace bell is hanging above a bronze plate (3.8
m x 10 m) featuring the names of all ARGE-ALP countries.
In the center below the bell there are 11 national
arms and the purpose of the foundation in German and
Italian. The Peace Bell is Tirol´s largest bell. It
is 2.51 m high and 2.54 m in diameter. The bronze
bell weighs 10 tons, and the clapper alone more than
half a ton. The bell rings daily at 5.00 pm and its
sound can be heard far into the Upper Inn Valley.
The impressive swinging of the bell is an unforgettable
experience that can hardly be described.
Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park
Peace Bell is rung by visitors as part of their wish
for Peace. The dome shape of the belfry symbolises
the Universe. The bell weighs more than a ton. Around
it wraps a map of the world with no national boundaries
shown, to symbolise 'One World'.
This photo was taken in the Peace Park in central
Hiroshima in November of 2000 during my two week trip
A plaque by the bell reads,
Bell of Peace We dedicate this bell As a symbol of
Hiroshima Aspiration: Let all nuclear arms and wars
be gone, and the nations live in true peace! May it
ring to all concerns of the earth to meet the ear
of every man, for in it throb and palpitate the hearts
of its peace-loving donors. So may you, too, friends,
step forward, and toll this bell for peace!
Dedicated September 20th, 1964
By Hiroshima Higan-No-Kai.
The World Peace Bell
The bronze bell is decorated with symbols of human
achievements and inscribed with the words "The World
Peace Bell is a Symbol of Freedom and Peace. Honoring
Our Past, Celebrating Our Present and Inspiring Our
The carillon, (when finished), will consist of 84
bells ranging in size from almost 8 feet to less then
4 inches, not counting of course the 33 ton, 12 foot
World Peace Bell. There has been some speculation
as to how loud the bell will be. The residents of
Newport are a little worried about their windows being
shattered. This concern is generated by the legend
of Big Joe, currently the largest bell in America.
The World Peace Bell, the largest free-swinging bell
in the world, weighing 66,000 pounds, it was installed
in 1999 at the Millennium Monument in Newport, Kentucky.
This bell, a symbol of freedom and peace, was designed
and cast by the world renowned Verdin Company of Cincinnati,
Ohio, in association with Pierre Paccard in Annecy,
France. The Verdin Company is the world's largest
supplier of bells, carillons, and clocks. The world's
largest swinging bell, and the largest Western bell
outside of Russia; a "maiden bell" (un-tuned). The
"planned weight" announced before casting (30 metric
tons, or about 66,000 lbs) was deliberately misleading;
the actual planned weight was 33 metric tons. As weighed
at the foundry after casting, the bell is 33385 kg,
or slightly over 73,000 lbs. Total swinging weight
including clapper and yoke is about 104,000 lbs.
The Freedom Bell in Washington, DC
In 1981, the Freedom Bell was donated to the United
States in celebration of the nation's Bicentennial.
It was cast specifically for the 1975-76 American
Freedom Train by Whitechapel Bell Foundry, the same
foundry that cast the original Liberty Bell.
The American Freedom Train carried the bell to all
48 contiguous states during the nation's Bicentennial
celebration. It was alternately called the Freedom
Bell or the Children's Bell.
It is nearly twice as large as the real Liberty Bell.
The replica is located at the intersection of Massachusetts
Avenue and First Street in front of Washington DC's
Freedom Bell in Berlin
The Bell was manufactured under great pressure of
time. The work was carried out by the English firm
of Gillett & Johnston from 25 June to the end of August
The bell was shipped from London and was taken through
26 cities in the USA, where 16 million Americans donated
money and signed the declaration of freedom. After
crossing the Atlantic again, the Freedom Bell finally
arrived at Rathaus Schöneberg in Berlin.
Many schools and factories were closed for the dedication
day on 24 October 1950. About 500,000 Berliners gathered
on the square in front of the Town Hall and gave a
rousing welcome to Lucius D. Clay and the American
delegation, Chancellor Konrad Adenauer, Berlin Mayor
Ernst Reuter and many other dignitaries.
Since then, the Freedom Bell has chimed every day
at midday from the tower of Rathaus Schöneberg. Its
sound has become the symbol of freedom in our city,
the expression of American support for Berlin and
the symbol of German-American friendship.
Japanese Peace Bell
Japanese Peace Bell was presented to the United Nations
in June 1954 by the United Nations Association of
Japan. It was cast from coins collected by children
from 60 different countries, and housed in a typically
Japanese structure, ressembling a Shinto shrine, made
of cypress wood.
It has become a tradition to ring the bell twice a
year: on the first day of Spring, at the Vernal Equinox,
and on the opening day of the General Assembly's yearly
session in September.
In 1994, there was a special ceremony marking the
fortieth anniversary of the Japanese Bell. On that
occasion, Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali
said: "whenever it has sounded, this Japanese Peace
Bell has sent a clear message. The message is addressed
to all humanity.
Peace is precious. It is not enough to yearn for peace.
Peace requires work -- long, hard, difficult work."
The Bell of September
will see the dedication of not one but two very special
Whitechapel bells in the USA. The
first of these, a full size replica of the Liberty
Bell, was cast here at the Foundry some months ago
within yards of where its predecessor was cast a quarter-millennium
earlier and commemorates the landing on American soil
of the original Liberty Bell 250 years ago in September
1752. The other commemorates much more recent and
tragic events and will be dedicated at Trinity Church
on Wall Street on 11th September 2002, the first anniversary
of the terrorist attack on New York City. (The existing
ring of eight bells at Trinity Church were cast here
at Whitechapel in 1797.) This bell is 31" (785mm)
in diameter and weighing approximately 650 pounds,
bears the inscription:
TO THE GREATER GLORY OF GOD
AND IN RECOGNITION OF
THE ENDURING LINKS BETWEEN
THE CITY OF LONDON
AND THE CITY OF NEW YORK
FORGED IN ADVERSITY - 11 SEPTEMBER 2001
Okinawa Peace Bell
Okinawa became the final battleground between the
invading US forces and the defending Japanese forces
towards the end of WW11. It is remembered as one of
the bloodiest battles in which more than 200,000 perished
including US and Japanese soldiers and Okinawan citizens.
Thus the Okinawa Peace Memorial Hall was constructed
on October 1, 1978 on Mabuni Hill where the war practically
ended, to symbolize the ardent wish of our people
who abhor the recurrence of such a tradedy to befall
any nation regardless of their nationality, race,
creed, or religion. In the front garden is the Okinawa
Peace Bell, a 9 meter high bell tower which was donated
by the Lions International Club 337. The bell is rung
five times a day to console the spirits of those who
died in the war. It is also intended that the sound
of the bell will carry the Okinawan people's wish
for peace across the Seven Seas and to every corner
of the world.
250th Anniversary Liberty Bell
can't be many businesses you can return to for the
same product after a quarter of a millennium and have
it manufactured mere yards from where the original
was made, but that's what happened
when USA Renaissance commissioned the Foundry to make
a full-size replica of the Liberty Bell, complete
with headstock and fittings. It also has rivet heads
cast on its surface and a 'crack' engraved between
them to match those on the original. The bell was
produced to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the
landing in the USA of the original in September 1752.
Pictured with the bell are Foundry employees John
Bentham & Ghulam 'Raz' Rasool, who made the headstock
and assembled the fittings. This is not the first
replica of the Liberty Bell to be cast at the Foundry
and it probably won't be the last. Two-and-a-half
centuries later, and our relationship with the Liberty
THE QUEEN MUM
At 11.30am on Tuesday 9th April 2002, and in common
with many thousands of others across the country,
the directors and staff of Whitechapel Bell Foundry
observed two minutes silence to honour the passing
of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. The beginning
and ending of the silence was marked by the striking
of the tolling bell in the Foundry yard. The last
time this had been so tolled was in remembrance of
the victims of 11th September 2001.
The Justice Bell
Memorial National Bell Tower
Washington Memorial Chapel,Valley Forge
The Justice Bell was not rung until after the passage
of the 19th Amendment in 1920 which gave women the
right to vote.
The Justice Bell was used between 1915 and 1920 to
call attention to and gain support for the campaign
for women's suffrage. The name came from the fact
that the suffrage movement looked upon a woman's right
to vote as a matter of justice. The Justice Bell is
a copy of the Liberty Bell with the addition of "establish
Justice" to the inscription. The clapper of the 2,000
lb. bell was chained to its side silencing the Bell.
Katharine Wentworth Ruschenberger of Strafford, Chester
County, Pennsylvania was the benefactor of the Bell.
She was an active member of the National Woman Suffrage
Association, which later became the League of Woman
Voters. To call attention to the battle for women's
suffrage, she devised a plan which included the casting
of the Justice Bell and taking it to the people of
Pennsylvania. On June 15, 1915 the Justice Bell began
a whistle-stop tour of Pennsylvania in support of
a proposed amendment to the Pennsylvania State Constitution
giving women the right to vote. The tour covered more
than 5,000 miles in less than six months. It ended
November 2, 1915 after crisscrossing the state and
visiting villages, towns and cities in all sixty-seven
counties. The Justice Bell now resides in the Tower
Room of the Washington Memorial National Bell Tower
at the Washington Memorial Chapel in Valley Forge.
The Korean Bell
bell given to the children of the world in the spirit
of peace and friendship
from the Professors World Peace Academy October 20,
1988.The Korean bell, sent by Rev. Kwak to be hung
at the Banner of Peace Monument, near Sofia, Bulgaria.
The plaque reads: The bell comes from Korea where
the Professors World Peace Academy was founded in
The NMHA Bell
the early days of mental health treatment, asylums
often restrained persons with mental illnesses by
iron chains and shackles around their ankles and wrists.
better understanding and treatments, this cruel practice
eventually stopped. In the early 1950s, the National
Mental Health Association (NMHA) issued a call to
asylums across the country for their discarded chains
and shackles. On April 13, 1953, at the McShane Bell
Foundry in Baltimore, MD, NMHA melted down these inhumane
bindings and recast them into a sign of hope: the
Mental Health Bell. Now the symbol of NMHA, the 300-pound
Bell serves as a powerful reminder that the invisible
chains of misunderstanding and discrimination continue
to bind people with mental illnesses. Today, the Mental
Health Bell rings out hope for improving mental health
and achieving victory over mental illnesses.